What are Properties?
GameSparks Properties give you a mechanism for customizing your player experience without being restricted to platform capabilities. Using Properties, you can:
- Store your own JSON configuration on the portal and attach this to GameSparks objects, such as Virtual Goods, Achievements, and Leaderboards.
- Access Properties directly through Cloud Code and assign Property Sets to players through Cloud Code.
When you create a Property, you create an arbitrary data set which you can then exploit for custom game configuration.
What are Property Sets?
Property Sets allow you to group your Properties together. You can then segment your Property Sets and introduce an extra dimension to your Properties configuration. By segmenting Property Sets, you can ensure that different sets of Properties control game behavior for different player groups.
Tutorial! Check out our Segmented Properties tutorial for details on how to create and work with Properties and Property Sets and how to add segmented values for Properties.
Managing Properties and Property Sets
Go to Configurator > Properties to create and manage your Property Sets and Properties:
The page opens with the Property Sets tab selected and you can use the following options (highlighted above):
- Add - Add a new Property Set.
- - Edit Property Set.
- - Delete Property Set.
Select the Properties tab where you can use the same options to manage your Properties.
1. Select the Properties tab and click Add. The page adjusts:
2. Enter the details of the Property:
- Short Code - A mandatory field which is a unique identifier of the Property for use elsewhere in the Portal and in Cloud Code.
- Name - A mandatory field used to help identify the Property.
- Description - A mandatory field which should be used to describe the Property and explain its purpose.
- Value - Enter the value you want for your Property JSON configuration in the editor.
- The default editing environment is Code, where you can manually enter your JSON configuration structure with real-time validation of your input.
- Alternatively, you can switch to the Tree editing environment, where you can enter fields and select the required data-type:
3. Click to Save and Close the new Property.
Creating Property Sets and Adding Property Set Keys
1. Select the Property Sets tab and click Add. The page adjusts:
2. Enter the details of the Property Set:
- Short Code - A mandatory field which is a unique identifier of the Property Set for use elsewhere in the Portal and in Cloud Code.
- Name - A mandatory field used to help identify the Property Set.
- Description - A mandatory field which should be used to describe the Property Set and explain its purpose.
You can now add Property Set Keys to your Property Set and map these to Properties.
3. On the Property Set Keys panel, click Add:
- To add a Property Set Key, enter a Name and then use the Property drop-down to select a Property.
- In this example, two Keys have been added and mapped to Properties.
Cannot add Property Set Keys? In order to add a Property Set Key to a Property Set, you must first create at least one Property for your game. If you haven't yet created at least one Property, you'll see a warning on the Property Set Keys panel and the Add button will not be available when you create and edit Property Sets.
4. Click to Save and Close the new Property Set.