Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is happening with GameSparks?
Amazon pre-announced a new service called Amazon GameSparks, a new games backend as a service built on AWS. For more information, see the announcement blog post and sign up here. We are making data export API, transition documentation and AWS partners available to help you transition to the new service. The last date to complete the transition to the new service or an alternative service on AWS is September 30, 2022.
- July 22, 2021: New accounts and new game creations are disabled as of July 22, 2021. Additionally, you will not be able to copy a snapshot from an existing game to create a new game. GameSparks will continue to operate as-is until September 30, 2022, and there will not be any service quality changes until that time.
- March 31, 2022: Publishing new games to Live stage will be disabled and game launch service limit increases will no longer be supported after March 31, 2022. Games that are published to the Live stage before March 31, 2022 can continue publishing new Live snapshots until September 30, 2022.
- September 30, 2022: This is the last date to transition to the new service. You will not be able to login to GameSparks and will not have access to any data and APIs.
2. What resources are available to help games transition away from GameSparks?
There are three main resources available to help you transition your games.
- Self-service transition documentation: This documentation can help you transition your games to an alternative backend service.
- Data export API: We are building a data export API that can help extract your game data in bulk. We will update this FAQ once the API is available.
- AWS consulting partners: Together with AWS, we have identified AWS consulting partners to help you choose the best path forward for transitioning your game away from GameSparks. To get connected to one of these partners, please fill out your information through this AWS form and an AWS representative will contact you with next steps.
3. Are there any solutions similar to GameSparks that I can use today?
To learn more about solutions similar to GameSparks, please visit the AWS Technology Partners for GameSparks Transition page.
We will continue to update this FAQ with new information, so please check back periodically